Thursday, May 21, 2015

I must apologize.  This blog has not worked like I had imagined.  Our days have been so full that we get up early, go all day, get back in time to eat a late dinner, clean up, and get ready for the next day.  We have seen so much that our minds and hearts are full and overflowing.  We are so tired at night that our minds go blank, especially when you struggle with the internet.  I can't believe tomorrow is our last day.  This has truly been a trip of a lifetime. Since I have not been able to blog like I wanted, I hope you have been able to see and read the updates on facebook.  We have wifi on the bus that works better than the one in the hotel, so we can visit a place, get on the bus and post it on facebook. Pretty cool.  My goal when I get home is to try to get my thoughts together and write things down.  I just hope that the feelings I am feeling will not get lost in everyday life, but linger with me for a long time.  Our guide has been wonderful.  He is 78, but so full of life.  He is so knowledgeable of the Bible, quoting many parts of it by heart.  He has a degree in Biblical Studies.  He was also a high ranking officer in the Israeli army during the Six Day War and has talked about the struggles of Israel in recent history.  Fascinating.  We will be riding down a road and he will point out places where the Syrian army would hide and say we took this back from them.  So not only have we learned biblical history, but Israeli history.  It helps us understand them more.  The only thing about Avi (our guide) is that he is a Jew and does not believe in Jesus.  He talks a good talk because of his audience, but in his heart, he is not a believer.  It's hard to believe he is not a Christian by the way he talks, but he 'doesn't buy that Jesus story' he told one of our group members.  Pray for him - Avi.  

Walking in the same places Jesus walked, seeing sights I have heard of all my life, praying in the Garden of Gethsemane, singing and worshipping on Holy Ground, sailing the Sea of Galilee, place after place after place, have penetrated my life and I will never be the same.  I can only imagine what Heaven will be like.  

Not sure if I will blog again since tomorrow is the last day.  It will be a wonderful day. Three things on the agenda -- The Valley of Elah (David & Goliath), the Road to Emmaus (Avi, our guide, was on the team that helped to excavate it in 1975.), and the climax of it all, the empty tomb.  That's what it is all about.   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment